Featured Post

The New Cover for Last Shot Revealed!

Happy New Year!  Today is the day! Last Shot at Justice has its new cover, and is now up for pre-order on Amazon. That's right, ALL th...

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Review of The Flame and the Arrow by Emigh Cannaday

I'm going to have to stop trying to write reviews on my tablet.  Lost another one.

I'll sum up what I said. First, I'm not putting on a star rating because this read to me like a New Adult novel and I've come to realize that I am not a fan of New Adult. That is not the fault of this novel - but because I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't be able to give it more than 3 stars. 

I was approached by the author and given a copy for an honest review - and I only hope I gave her my standard spiel about honest being honest, and she might not like what I have to say. In future, I will be sure to pass on any New Adult novels that come my way, as I can't think of one I've read that I really enjoyed. So, that is why I'm not rating it. 

It should be right up my alley, with an epic journey, magic, elves, and a battle to reopen the portals between worlds so our heroine can go home. And those elements are what would get the three stars from me. Minor errors aside, there isn't much wrong with the book, other than being a genre that is not one I enjoy. 

Why do I say it's New Adult? Because the focus is on the roller coaster, hot and cold romance between Talvi and Annika, and planning for parties, and parties, and bar hopping, and cooking - all things I found very dull, and I wish I had skipped through them. Oh, and chapter after chapter about helping the troll family behave, in order to get the troll Dad to come with them on their journey, only to have him play such a very small part in the final battle.

That being said, if you like New Adult stories, I'm sure you'll like this tale. However, if New Adult is not your thing, you might want to give this one a pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment