Featured Post

The New Cover for Last Shot Revealed!

Happy New Year!  Today is the day! Last Shot at Justice has its new cover, and is now up for pre-order on Amazon. That's right, ALL th...

Saturday, November 7, 2015

Review of Perfect Touch by Elizabeth Lowell

I'm probably more at 3.5 stars, but here's the deal. The first, oh, third of the book is S L O W, with so much internal dialog used as exposition that I wondered if I would be able to finish. Who *thinks* all that stuff? In that kind of language?

The descriptions of Wyoming (and the paintings) were beautiful, and I think captured the region well. It is beautiful country.

When the action finally started, it finally started getting good, and I binge read the last 8th of the book.

Then we got to the end, and (view spoiler)

So, the action was well done, but I thought the mystery resolution points were a little weak. Oh, and I mentioned the head-hopping in my status updates. How distracting! If it were truly omniscient, it would show all characters' thoughts, but it is mainly the H/h, and then at the end, we even get into the bad guy's head for a couple paragraphs. In my opinion, that's just lazy.

The romance was refreshing. No angst, which is a thing I totally appreciate.

In summary, I more than liked it, by the end, but I can't say I loved it.


Here are my status updates:
 
10/19/2015 marked as: currently-reading
10/21/2015 page 40
10.0% "Yeesh. A lot of internal dialog, blatantly used as a device for exposition. Here's hoping it gets better.

And what's with the 1.5" line spacing? Trying to make the book look longer than it is? Mixed with the tiny font, it is confusing, and a challenge to read. :-/"
10/24/2015 page 70
19.0% "Interesting thoughts about art and Wyoming, but the head-hopping is killing me. And again (still) the internal dialog as exposition. Yawn."
10/29/2015 page 194
52.0% "It's starting to get better. Even though I'm impatient, I do like the descriptions of the Wyoming landscape. Reminds my of my driving time."
10/31/2015 page 238
64.0% "She sure draws bad characters well. I'm plotting ways they can get rid of Liza!"

No comments:

Post a Comment